The St. Cyril and Methodius Comprehensive School and Pedagogical High School Brno is an educational institution which comprises of two types of schools under one roof: a comprehensive 8-year grammar school for students aged 11-19 and a 4-year pedagogical high school for students from 15 to 19 years of age.
The school continues in the tradition of the Religious Grammar School for Girls founded by the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Cyril and Methodius in 1933 with the aim of providing a quality education and upbringing based on Christian values. However, the grammar school was forced to interrupt its activity first by the Nazi regime in 1940 and subsequently by the Communist totalitarian regime in 1948. Only after the Velvet Revolution in 1989 and the ensuing fall of Communism was it possible to re-open the school again – this time for both girls and boys; the current school opened in 1996.
Our school puts a special emphasis on upbringing and a systematic development of personality and knowledge, with the aim of helping students to find the true meaning of human life. The school education programme ‘Lux in tenebris’ (Light in the darkness) motivates students to develop their personality, study foreign languages and humanities, as well mathematics and other natural sciences. The high standards of the studies are proven by the many successes of our students in subject-related competitions, the national contest of Students´ Professional Activities (SOČ) and by most students being accepted to university (over 90%). The school education programme also offers students a choice between the subjects of religion or ethics, or more precisely Christian ethics.
- systematic preparation for higher education of all kinds;
- cooperation with priests and our school counselling office;
- modern language studies (English, German, French) supported by native speakers; and study of Latin;
- the opportunity to prepare for international language exams (FCE, Zertifikat Deutsch, DELF/DALF);
- excursions; study, language, cultural and sporting stays abroad (Slovakia, Poland, Ukraine, Austria, Germany, France, Great Britain);
- pedagogical internship in various organizations (nursery schools, primary schools, elderly care homes and centres for people with special needs);
- extra-curricular sports and activities under the auspices of the school club Kotva (Anchor);
- weekend trips focused on personal development;
- forthcoming approach which does not tolerate any kind of violence;
- a welcoming atmosphere based on friendship and mutual respect.
The school cooperates with the following international partners:
- Gymnázium sv. Františka Assiského, Levoča (Slovakia)
- Gymnazijá No 19, Melitopol (Ukraine)
- Gymnasium Sacré Coeur, Wien (Austria)
- Ackermann-Gemeinde, Stuttgart; Regnum Christi, Düsseldorf (Germany)
- Lycée de La Sauque, La Brède (France)